Podcast Audio Editor
We’re looking for exceptional freelance podcast audio editors who obsess over the details.
We are a very detail-driven company, and this role, in particular, requires a high level of attention to detail.
If you're an exceptional audio engineer who loves what you do and cares about producing great work, then read on!
What is Podcast Royale?
Podcast Royale is a podcast production and marketing company. We produce and market podcasts for clients in a variety of industries. Experience or interest in any of the following industries would be very helpful:
- Financial planning
- Wed design and development
We offer steady work in a process-driven environment.
- This is not a one-off or short-term project. We are interested in long-term relationships that grow over time.
- We are 100% remote, but some overlap with the EST time zone is preferred.
What is the Podcast Audio Editor role?
There are two pieces to podcast audio production:
- Content editing
- Mixing and mastering
During the content edit, you will go through the entire episode, cutting mistakes (ums, filler words, false starts, etc.), tightening gaps, aligning tracks — all to create an episode that flows extremely well and sounds as natural as possible.
Mixing and mastering
During mixing and mastering, you will make the audio itself sound as good as possible. Each episode is different, but this generally includes things like:
- Background noise removal
- Loudness matching
Sometimes we will receive low-quality audio with various problems, and you will need to be able to troubleshoot the audio and know how to fix those problems.
We work exclusively with Adobe Audition and iZotope RX-7, so you will need a high level of proficiency with those tools.
You must have experience editing podcasts and be able to show examples of your work.
Beyond being an excellent audio engineer, you need to be curious and never satisfied with “good enough”. You must know how to ask questions and solve problems without being micromanaged.
You must be an excellent communicator, and have a good ear for what makes audio sound great
You must have high-level proficiency with the following tools:
- Adobe Audition
- iZotope RX 7
The ideal candidate
We value attention to detail, commitment, and a positive "can-do" attitude. You will be a great fit for our team if:
- You are reliable. Our business is deadline-driven. You will have weekly deadlines that you must be able to meet without exception.
- You are a great communicator. Our team is entirely remote, and the ability to communicate in a clear and timely manner is essential.
- You have a good ear for what makes audio sound great. You know when an extra .5 seconds of space is needed, or when to make something tighter. You know the difference between an “um” that should be edited out, and one that should be left it.
- You obsess over the details.
- You do your best work, every time - checking your own quality before passing your work to others.
- You enjoy your work.
- You are proficient with platforms and tools such as:
- Adobe Audition
- iZotope RX-7
- You are able to work within established systems and processes, and eager to grow and improve your craft.
How to apply
We know this application can feel intense. This is intentional because it weeds out all of the applicants who do not pay attention to the details and just want to blast resumes to us.
Note 1: While this application will take you time (it should take approx 30-45 minutes), if you follow the instructions, your application will be strongly considered. So far, we have ended up hiring everyone who has completed this application without error.
Note 2: Less than five percent of applicants actually pay attention to the details in this application, and complete it correctly. But if you're in that five percent, you are the ones we are excited to work with. You know who you are.
- Create a Google Doc for your application. Keep it well organized and easy to digest.
- Include the following:
- URL of your website, portfolio, or favorite social profile
- Write a cover letter that sells us on why we should hire you for this position over anyone else.
- Record a video or audio message (video is preferred)
- Use your webcam or cell phone to record an application video or audio message.
- This video or audio message should be a maximum of 60 seconds long (not a second longer).
- As the first word of your video or audio message say “Hello”, and as the last word of your message say “Goodbye”.
- In the content of the video or audio, tell us something interesting about yourself. No pressure — we just want to get to know you.
- Upload your video or audio to Dropbox. If you do not have an account, create a free one and upload the file there. Add the dropbox link as the very final item of your Google Doc.
- Complete a short test project and put a link to the project in your Google Doc
- Download this three-minute segment: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8axuqvz9e07ayzw/PR_test-project.zip.
- Create a new Audition session named YOUR-NAME_test-project.sesx.
- Place each clip on its own track in the session (the clips are named track-1, track-2, etc.).
- Do a content edit (no audio processing), cutting mistakes (ums, filler words, false starts, etc.), tightening gaps, aligning tracks, etc. to create a final result that flows extremely well and sounds as natural as possible.
- Do not export an mp3 — we want to review the actual Audition session.
- Zip the entire Audition session (including any required files), and name it YOUR-NAME_test-project.zip.
- Upload the zip file to Dropbox and then add the Dropbox link to your Google Doc.
- Please provide examples of your work
- Please share three to five examples of your work. These links should represent the kind of work you're most proud of and that you can produce on a regular basis.
- How many hours per week are you available? What would be your ideal?
- We are interested in long-term relationships. We don't have a minimum requirement, but we are more interested in people who want to grow with us over time.
- When are you available to start?
- What are your hobbies? And what do you love about them?
- We want to get to know a little bit about you and how you enjoy spending your time.
- Which blogs, podcasts, books, or people do you follow (and why)?
- Feel free to provide as much detail as you like. We want to know what you enjoy and what inspires you.
- What's you're favorite movie of all time?
- If you're not a movie fan, list your favorite book, or TV show, or album.
- Send an email to email@example.com
- The subject line should read “PR Podcast Editor: YOUR NAME”.
- The body of the email should include a link to the Google Doc and nothing else.